Slip and fall accidents are more common than you may think. Slip and falls range from minor, albeit embarrassing tumbles to serious accidents that lead to severe sprains and broken bones.
Although the elderly are at greater risk for slip and fall accidents, no one is immune to them. Every day, people fall down stairs and trip on uneven surfaces, but sometimes clumsiness is not to blame.
Slip and fall accidents can have deep consequences, including costly medical bills and loss of wages if you are unable to work.
So when should you hire a personal injury lawyer? When it comes to personal injury, we often think of auto accidents, but slip and falls also fall under the personal injury realm.
When someone falls and is injured on someone’s property, the victim may be able to file a personal injury claim to receive compensation.
What Is A Property Owner’s Responsibility?
By law, property owners are obligated to maintain their property and keep it safe for guests. This includes store owners, bar and restaurant owners and even homeowners. On the other hand, every guest is responsible for taking certain precautions as well. As you can imagine, this is when a case can get tricky, which is why it’s critical to prove negligence.
If you believe the owner of the property where your injury occurred is guilty of any of the following, contact a personal injury lawyer:
- A “reasonable” property owner or employee of the property owner would have noticed the danger and rectified it.
- The property owner or employee of the property owner was aware of the hazard and took action to correct it, but their efforts failed or they took no action at all.
- The property owner or employee of the property owner was responsible for the dangerous situation or hazardous condition
But you should also examine if you were careless. Ask yourself:
- Did you have the right to be on the property?
- Were you participating in activities that would have diminished your judgment or mobility?
- Were you acting in a way that contributed to your fall?
- Did you fail to notice a sign or warning about the hazard?
A personal injury lawyer can help you determine the validity of your case, or whether you have one at all.
How Serious Should My Injury Be In Order To Sue?
Even if you have suffered just a minor ankle sprain or pulled a muscle, do not discount your injury, especially if the injury has caused a loss of mobility.
Slip and fall injuries are not to be taken lightly, especially when they interfere with your daily activities and hinder your way of life, especially your job.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, contact a personal injury lawyer at The VanDeLoo Firm, which serves Plano, Allen, Frisco, McKinney and Dallas residents.
Amy VanDeLoo is an experienced, honest personal injury attorney that will protect your legal rights, assist you with the insurance company and negotiate a fair settlement. She is also prepared to staunchly represent you in court if a fair settlement is not reached. We also offer a free initial consultation. Plus, you don’t pay unless you win.
Call 972-200-5080 today to set up your free consultation.